Pages

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

A Penny Saved...

... is one less knick knack to buy!

Do you spend your change or save it? I'm a change spender. Mr. RBR is a change saver. I recently went through his old plastic change jar and fished out all the silver. But what the heck am I going to do with all these pennies, I thought.

TA DA!

Photobucket

I got these large canning jars quite awhile ago off freecycle. What's freecycle, you ask? It's a forum where people want to get rid of stuff--FOR FREE. Find out if there's one for your area. People get rid of all kinds of stuff. One time I got a free pregnancy test, just a few blocks away. I walked there with the boys in a double stroller and got it out of some woman's mailbox (the place where she said I could get it). Weird, huh? But fun too.

Was that too weird of a story to share? I used to be a pregnancy test addict. I've taken hundreds. I don't know how I got from canning jars to pregnancy tests anyway. Oh right. Freecycle.

Anyway...

So that is how I got 5 large canning jars. For free. It makes a much nicer container than what they were in originally. Add a label and you have a cute accessory... and a place for spare change to land.

Photobucket

I stuck the label on there with my favorite spray adhesive, 3M Super 77, but you could decoupage, or double stick tape it, or whatever floats your boat.

Here's the label in case you'd like to make your own. Happy crafting!






















Linking to some of these parties.

This project was featured on Beyond the Picket Fence.

7 comments:

  1. Great thrifty idea. Looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a great idea. Thanks for sharing and have a blessed day, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea ;) You would be surprised at how many beautiful jars we all put in our recycling every week! Some of them like certain spaghetti jars are canning jars and they come with the lid! I reuse them in my fridge actually, when big jars are half empty, I've saved these jars to condense and save space in my fridge (I learned this from my mom - the 'reduce-to-a-smaller-container' queen). My mom also has always handed us zip lock bags with exactly 100 pennies in them (when I say us, it's usually for my kids). Places are less likely to get annoyed if you only hand them exactly 100 pennies (any more than that and forget it, there are people waiting in line behind you), but you can look at it like using a dollar off coupon to any place you shop!

    I enjoyed your post ;) Maybe you'll stop by mine sometime when you have a chance!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it. I've started saving some of the jars we buy when they are especially pretty. Your label is gorgeous, I love the simplicity of it. Sounds like I need to be looking for that adhesive at my local hard ware store!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will be making this! My father saves pennies like crazy. I am talking rain barrel full crazy, but this would be so cute for display in their house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cute. I found an old glass water jug at a flea market that I use to store all our loose change. It's fun to see it fill up.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...