Pages

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Special Delivery

If you've been reading the Room By Room blog, you might remember I started vermicomposting.

And if you're new here you're asking yourself, "What the heck is vermicomposting?"

Vermicomposting, is, in short, creating a little ecosystem in your home where worms eat your garbage. And it's very, very, very, very cool.

You heard me.

Photobucket

If you'd like to know how to make your own vermicomposting bin, check out this post.

Because I am an impatient sort I originally went to a bait shop and bought...

wait for it...

72 worms.

72.

72 worms ain't gonna do nuthin'. The point of vermicomposting is to have a whole BUNCH of worms so that they eat up your trash right away. Like in a day or two. 1000 red wiggler worms = approximately 1 pound in weight. And red wiggler worms will eat up to half their body weight every single day. So 1 pound of worms will eat 1/2 pound of trash every day. Get it?

I needed more worms.

So I went to the website Uncle Jim's Worm Farm. On the site I noticed I could buy 1000 worms for $30 (including shipping), or 2000 worms for $40 (free shipping). I went with the 2000 worm (approximately 2 pounds of worms) option.

I thought this was interesting. The worms only ship on Mondays, so they don't get stuck in the post office over the weekend. I would have NEVER thought about that! Poor wormies. Don't want them to get stuck in the post office over the weekend!

Well today I got my worm shipment. It arrived like this.

Photobucket

Well, this bag was in a little square box.

And this is what it looked like inside the bag.

Photobucket

It is completely FILLED with worms. And it looks like a little peat/dirt mixed in.

They came with directions that said to put them in their habitat right away. Just set them in a pile on the top, covered with a sheet of damp newspaper and they'll disperse naturally within the next 24-48 hours.

So that's what I did.

Photobucket

I'm trying to resist the urge to check up on them. Don't want to be a helicopter parent, er, vermicompost-ologist, er something.

Oh, what the heck.

Photobucket

I even picked them up! Ewwww!

Photobucket

OK, now I'll behave and leave them alone.

So, did you make your vermicompost bin yet? If you do, pretty, pretty please tell me about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...